Nessus is a popular vulnerability scanner that helps you identify and fix security issues in your network, web applications, and devices. Nessus can help you comply with various standards and regulations, such as PCI DSS, HIPAA, NIST, and more. If you want to use Nessus for your security assessments, you need to know How To Create a Nessus Account account first. In this blog post, we will show you how to do that in a few simple steps.
Step 1: Choose your Nessus edition
Nessus offers different editions for different needs and budgets. You can choose from:
– Nessus Essentials: This is a free edition that allows you to scan up to 16 IP addresses per scanner. It is suitable for personal use, students, and educators.
– Nessus Professional: This is a paid edition that allows you to scan unlimited IP addresses per scanner. It is suitable for security professionals, consultants, and auditors.
– Nessus Manager: This is a paid edition that allows you to manage multiple Nessus scanners and users from a central console. It is suitable for large organizations and enterprises.
You can compare the features and prices of each edition on the Nessus website.
Step 2: Register for a Nessus account
Once you have chosen your Nessus edition, you need to register for a Nessus account. Visit the Nessus registration page and filling out the required information.
After you submit the registration form, you will receive an email with a link to activate your account. You will also receive your activation code, which you will need later to activate your Nessus scanner.
Step 3: Download and install Nessus
The next step is to download and install Nessus on your computer or device. You can download Nessus from the Nessus downloads page.
You will need to choose the appropriate version for your operating system and architecture. For example, if you are using Windows 10 64-bit, you will need to download the Windows x64 version.
After you download Nessus, you will need to run the installer and follow the instructions on the screen. The installation process may vary depending on your operating system and edition.
Step 4: Activate Nessus
The final step is to activate Nessus with your activation code. Launch Nessus and log in with your username and password.
You will see a screen where you can enter your activation code. Copy and paste it from the email you received earlier.
After you enter your activation code, Nessus will start downloading and installing the latest plugins and updates. This may take some time depending on your internet speed and connection.
Once Nessus is activated and updated, you are ready to start scanning your network and devices for vulnerabilities.
How to Create a Nessus Manager Account
Nessus Manager is a product that allows you to manage multiple Nessus scanners and users from a central location. This can support up to 256 users and 128 scanners per instance. Nessus Professional is a product that allows you to scan your own network with unlimited IP addresses. Nessus Professional can only support one user and one scanner per instance.
To create a user account for Nessus Manager or Nessus Professional, you need to follow these steps:
1. Go to the Tenable website (https://www.tenable.com/) and click on the Products tab. Then, select the product you want to use (Nessus Manager or Nessus Professional) and click on the Download button.
2. Fill out the form with your name, email address, company name, country, and phone number. Then, agree to the terms and conditions and click on the Submit button.
3. You will receive an email with a link to download the Nessus installer for your operating system (Windows, Linux, or Mac OS). Download the installer and run it on your computer.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Nessus on your computer. You will need to enter your activation code, which you can find in the email you received from Tenable.
5. After the installation is complete, open your web browser and go to https://localhost:8834/. This is the default URL for accessing the Nessus web interface. You can also use your computer’s IP address instead of localhost if you prefer.
6. You will see a welcome screen where you need to create an administrator account for Nessus. Enter your username, password, email address, first name, last name, and organization name. Then, click on the Create Account button.
7. You have successfully created an administrator account for Nessus. You can now log in to the Nessus web interface with your credentials and start using Nessus.
How to Create Additional Nessus Manager Account
If you are using Nessus Manager, you can also create additional user accounts for other people who need to use Nessus in your organization. To do that, you need to follow these steps:
1. Log in to the Nessus web interface as an administrator.
2. In the top navigation bar, click on Settings. Then, in the left navigation bar, click on Users.
3. In the upper right corner, click on the New User button.
4. Enter the username, password, email address, first name, last name, and organization name for the new user. Then, select a role for the user. The role determines what permissions the user has in Nessus. There are four roles available: Administrator (full access), Standard (scan creation and management), Basic (scan execution only), and Executive (scan results viewing only).
5. Click on Save. You have successfully created a new user account for Nessus.
You can repeat these steps to create as many user accounts as you need for Nessus Manager.
Congratulations! You have successfully created a Nessus account and installed Nessus on your computer or device. You can now use Nessus to perform comprehensive security assessments and improve your security posture.
Creating a Nessus account is easy and quick. With a Nessus account, you can start scanning your network for vulnerabilities and improve your security posture. If you have any questions or issues with creating a Nessus account, you can contact Tenable support or visit their community forum for help.